Freshly baked bagels, Yes! Here is a simple recipe to get those warm bagels right at home.
What you’ll need:
- 4 cups Einkorn flour (If using bread flour, omit the baking powder)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp. active yeast
- 1 tbsp. baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 1 tbsp. sucanat, coconut sugar or brown sugar – organic preferred
- 2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- Egg white from one egg
- About 1 tbsp. Coconut or olive oil
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup honey or barley malt syrup
- In a large bowl whisk yeast into warm water. Cover the bowl and let sit for 5 minutes
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt
- Add dry mixture to water and yeast, to combine
- Using a large bowl or floured surface knead the dough for about 10 minutes. Coat hands with flour and add more if the dough is too sticky
- Coat bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl and coat all sides with oil.
- Cover bowl with lid or plastic wrap then allow the dough to rise at room temperature for one hour. (the dough should double in size)
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to slowly rise overnight (better tasting and more beneficial for our digestive system)
- The next morning take the dough out of the fridge and allow to stand at room temperature for about an hour.
- Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
- Punch down dough and divide into 8 pieces.
- Shape each dough piece into a ball, Punch finger through the center and gently stretch a hole about 2″ in diameter
- Place bagels on baking sheets, cover with a towel to rest
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Bring two quarts of water to a boil
- Add honey stir to dissolve, reduce to medium-high
- Gently place 3 to 4 bagels in water
- Cook for 1 minute on each side
- Return to baking sheet with parchment paper
Egg Wash / Topping
- Beat egg white with 1 tbsp. water
- Brush egg wash on bagels using a pastry brush
- Apply topping is desired
- Oven heated to 425 degrees
- Bake bagels for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown
- Allow bagels to cool on baking sheet
- Garlic powder/granules, Celtic Sea salt, poppy seeds, onion flakes, and sesame seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Sugar & Cinnamon
- Parmesan cheese and Celtic Sea salt
- A slice of your favorite cheese
- Cinnamon and raisins
- Get creative, you choose
Where Can I Purchase Einkorn Flour
- Young Living – You can purchase as a retail customer or get a one-time membership to receive 24% off retail. They offer 2-pound packages of Einkorn flour along with granola, pasta, pancake/waffle mix, and cereal – all Einkorn. If you would like some help getting started I am a distributor and am happy to help. They carry all my healthy living products.
- Jovial Foods – They carry flour, pasta, crackers, cookies, and Einkorn berries.
- Ancient Grains – You can purchase Einkorn flour and berries. Most of their flours start with a 5-pound bag. Other products such as Spelt, hemp hearts, purple barley, millet, and more are available.
- Central Milling – They offer 5 and 50 lb bags of Einkorn flour. In addition, they offer many types of organic flours and grains. If you are looking for unique flours, check out this site.