The cold and flu season has begun. What do you do to support your immune system?
Why wait until you are feeling under the weather? Add Elderberry Syrup to your daily routine.
- In a pot add dried Elderberries, schizandra berries, water, cinnamon, clove, and ginger.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes
- Use sterile glass containers for storage
- Strain berries into container pressing to release all the juices
- Optional: Use several layers of cheesecloth in a strainer to drain. Twist to get out all liquid.
- When the liquid is at room temperature, then it is time to add honey and essential oil if using them. If the elderberry juice is too hot, it will destroy the properties of the honey and essential oils.
- Stir honey until dissolved.
- Pour elderberry syrup into glass containers and store in the refrigerator.
Why use Schisandra berries?
The Chinese have been using the Schisandra berry for more than 2000 years. Schisandra berry has been used for coughing and various lung issues by Chinese. “Wu-Wei-zu” is the Chinese name for the plant which meane “5 taste fruit”. Schisandra berries incorporate the five tastes: sweet, sour, bitter, astringent and salty flavors.
- Lowers inflammation
- Supports adrenal function
- Improve liver function and digestive health
- Protects the skin
- Improves mental performance
- Helps with healthy sexual function
Check out how to make Elderberry Kombucha if you are looking for more information on other health benefits of elderberries along with a special recipe from yours truly!