We are so excited to share this recipe from Chef Amber Poupore from the Cacao Tree Cafe. Our family can personally tell you it is a WINNER!
2 cups dry quinoa
3 3/4 cups water
1 cup fine diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly, then drain excess water
- Add quinoa and water to a pot, bring to a boil
- Then reduce heat and simmer covered on low for 35-45 minutes (Until the water is absorbed)
- Allow quinoa to cool
Next, it is time to rinse and de-stem 2 bunches of fresh kale. Chop or tear kale into bite-size pieces.
- Hand massage kale with homemade ranch dressing
- Add peppers, onion, and quinoa
- Thoroughly mix together
- Garnish salad with cherry tomatoes
Of course, you will want to try out Amber’s homemade vegan ranch dressing too!
Amber’s Vegan Ranch Dressing
3 cups Vegenaise band mayonnaise (soy free)
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1 tbsp. dried chives
- Add all ingredients to a blender
- Pulse blend – do not over blend herbs, the dressing will turn green
- Use with Southwest Kale & Quinoa Salad or refrigerate for later use
For a special touch, I like to add some hemp hearts, totally optional.
Again a huge shout out to Chef Amber from the Cacao Tree Cafe! (Check them out on FB)
Stop in and have a meal at her restaurant 204 W 4th St, Royal Oak, MI 48067