Fermented Sauerkraut seems to be all the rage right now. Actually, cultured kraut has been around for thousands of years. it’s just now coming back into the limelight and for good reasons.
Benefits of Consuming Fermented Sauerkraut
- Contains larger quantity of vitamins than raw cabbage
- Improves your digestion and overall health
- Live micros increase absorption of nutrients
- Antioxidants, enzymes, probiotics
- Boosts your immune system
- Strengthens Bones – due to vitamin K2
- Improves brain function
It is super easy and cost-effective to make sauerkraut. Here is a simple recipe to get you started making your own.
Not up to fermenting your own sauerkraut?
No problem, you can purchase some from your local health food store. Do not buy the pasteurized variety, all the important live micros have been destroyed in the process. Look at the brands in the refrigerator section and read the label. Also, avoid store brands that have preservatives and added sugars.
How much and how often do I eat it?
The best way to look at sauerkraut is as a condiment. Enjoy a spoonful with your meals. A first-time consumer should not sit down an eat a bowl full. Fermented foods and beverages will help cleanse and detox your body, so start slow. With any new change to your lifestyle, listen to your body. What I mean by this is be conscious of how you feel, if you notice changes and if so what are they.
Ways to Consume your Cultured Sauerkraut
- Right out of the jar
- Sprinkle some on your salad
- Add some zip to your sandwich (how about a Reuben?)
- Top off your favorite burger
- Make Creamy Sauerkraut Dip
- Toss some in a smoothie – not too much and don’t tell the kids 😉
- Use the brine, some olive oil, squeeze of some citrus with some fresh pepper for a dressing
- Chop and use like a relish: potato salad, pasta salad, deviled eggs, tuna – get creative!
- Add a fork full on your place and eat with your meal
- Enjoy with your tacos
- Zest up your hot dog
- Crackers topped with cheese and a dollop of kraut
- Your morning toast topped with avocado and sauerkraut
- Before you bite into your pizza add some fun – sauerkraut
One important detail – If you cook your kraut you lose out on many of the health benefits.
You get the idea! Spice up your everyday dishes and they are even more healthy.
So now you know the benefits, the quantity, and the ways to start enjoying fermented sauerkraut. One more step toward cleaner living.
I’m not a doctor, and any of the information provided is from my own personal experience. Any advice included shouldn’t be considered as medical advice, consult a professional should an emergency arise.